Wednesday, 2 September 2015

Vegan MoFo 2015 Day 2: Recreate a Childhood Meal

Today's Vegan MoFo prompt: Recreate a meal from your childhood.

I don't really have many fond memories of childhood meals; I was never that bothered by food or cooking until a few years ago, when going vegan finally pushed me into learning to make more interesting meals than pasta and tomato sauce or soup each evening. However, thinking back to my childhood, after deciding to go vegetarian way back in 1996 at the age of 8, I remember that the last type of meat I gave up back then was fish, as my parents were concerned about the health impacts of going vegetarian at such a young age and how they would feed me a balanced diet (remember: this was the 1990s, when being vegetarian was much less common than it is now and the internet wasn't about to provide such a wealth of information on vegetarian diets for children). They agreed that I could be vegetarian, but that I had to do it gradually in stages so that they could work out what to feed me.

From this train of thought, I remembered one British staple childhood meal of the 1990s that I wanted to have a go at recreating: fish fingers, potato waffles and peas. Even after I went vegetarian, I would eat vegetable fingers as a substitution for the fish ones. Whilst my first thought was that I could just make it all from frozen meals I could find in my local supermarket (Birdseye vegetable fingers, anybody?), I then remembered a recipe for Beer Battered Tofu that my friends Richard and Tracy had recommended to me from Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Whilst they're not breadcrumb coated, the idea of slivers of fried battered tofu sounded a lot more appealing to me than frozen vegetable fingers!


However, whilst I had the idea for how to make my tofish fingers, I realised I didn't have any potato waffles in the freezer. I walked down to my local shop on the high street, but unfortunately they didn't have any left either! Fortunately, disaster was averted when I spotted a packet of McCain's potato smiles in the supermarket freezer cabinet; perfect for a recreated childhood meal! Plus of course I needed some frozen peas to complete the dish.

 

All in all, I was pretty pleased with the end result as it was tasty (particularly the soy-sauce flavoured tofish fingers) and filled me up nicely. However, it also reminded me how much I've come to love more complex flavours and textures as an adult than I ever did as a child, and so I look forward to sharing some more exciting meals on this blog before Vegan MoFo 2015 comes to an end.


1 comment:

  1. In my (parents') household, tofu (in breadcrumbs) and chips, along with peas and tomato ketchup, has been a frequent meal for many years, especially after a day by the sea. :)

    ReplyDelete