Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Knockengorroch Festival 2015

Knockengorroch is one of my favourite festivals in the UK, and it's one I've been going to regularly since 2007, firstly with Weirdigans Organic Cafe and then with Greenpeace. I was really disappointed to miss it last year as I was unavoidably detained in Portugal, so I knew that I had to try my best to get along this year. Happily, we were offered a space for Greenpeace to have a small marquee once again this year, so I got the chance to go along again!

It was really nice to talk to people about Greenpeace and our current campaigns during the festival, and as always the polar bear was a huge hit! Children and adults alike queued for hugs and to dance with the bear. As we were so close to the main stage, it was also the perfect setting to sit back and enjoy the music whilst the bands were on. I wrote a bit more about what we did with Greenpeace for a post on the Greenpeace Greenwire website if you're interested in that kind of thing.





For myself, the lineup this year was totally spot on, with highlights ranging from the raucous folkery of Blackbeard's Tea Party and folk punk band Ferocious Dog right through to the brilliant headliners of Peatbog Faeries and Shooglenifty. We even had some excellent sunny weather on Saturday! Another highlight of the festival was going to see a performance of the play 3000 Trees by Teatro Magnetico, which is about the mysterious death of Scottish activist Willie MacRae in 1985.

Ferocious Dog

3000 Trees

Blackbeard's Tea Party

Of course, this post wouldn't be complete without explaining some of the vegan food I ate while I was at the festival. I always plan to be self-sufficient whenever I go to a festival just in case I get stuck for good vegan food options while I'm there. As Knockengorroch Festival is down a single track road four miles from the main road and even further from the nearest town, I made doubly sure to bring enough food for the five days I was there, plus a portable cooking stove so that I could enjoy some hot soup and porridge during the colder days.


As far as traders at Knockengorroch went, there were a few options for vegan food, including vegetarian cafe Weirdigans (of course) offering teas, coffees, soup and cake. I was also told that Johnny Baghdad's food trailer was able to offer a vegan version of their falafel meals, although I didn't try it out myself. In the end, for my Saturday night treat I ended up going for a cheese-free vegan pizza from the lovely people at Woodburn's Pizza topped with pineapple, jalapeƱos, mushrooms and chilli oil. Delicious!
 


All in all, it was another great Knockengorroch Festival and I really enjoyed going along. It's one of my favourite festivals and I'm really hoping we'll be able to go back next year with an even bigger and better version of our Greenpeace marquee.

No comments:

Post a Comment